Wednesday, May 27, 2009

give it a rest, ok?

I haven't been riding much the past week or two because work has been awful hectic. I just didn't have the time or energy to commit 2 hours a day to riding. BUT! Our huge project is just about complete and work is slowing down to a normal pace. So, back on the bike!

I think it's very important for people to listen to their bodies and their stress levels. If work is exhausting you too much to ride, save the ride for another day, if you can. On the other hand, exercise helps relieve stress, so perhaps you should in fact ride! What a puzzle. Anyway...

Cindy Godman of the Hartford Courant wrote a piece yesterday about balancing work, family, and exercise. You can read it on the Chicago Tribune site, but in short:

Start small, don't be overly ambitious.
Don't expect to be able to ride every day starting on day one. It's okay to take a day off from the commute here and there until you've built up your stamina.

Relax!
You're not going to feel like you are successfully balancing work, family, and exercise if you're all hopped up on stress. Luckily, bike commuting hits two birds with one stone - you're getting exercise and avoiding the stress of driving. Plus you have time to sort out the day's troubles in your mind. Riding can be a really meditative activity if you can chill out!

Get enough sleep
This was one of the problems keeping me off my bike. Work was taking up more of my day, so the rest of my responsibilities were creeping into my sleep-time. I couldn't face a 10 mile ride on too little sleep! Do yourself and your longevity a favor and get your 7 - 9 hours in each night. Maybe drink a glass of warm milk just before you hit the sack and do a bit of lucid dreaming to keep it interesting!

No comments: